Monday 1 October 2007

Oxford to Cambridge. 150km

I wake up this morning with a strong sense of accomplishment and even stronger pain in my legs. Yesterday I have been riding from Oxford to Cambridge (150km). It was one of my goals for the summer.

















The start was short after 8.00am in Oxford (thanks Stefi for driving me there). It was 6 of us from LBS riding (Michael, Dan, Silvio, Phil, Gavin and me) plus 2 more who joined us later (Michael and Dan). I realised later how important it is to do these kind of rides with someone else. I don't know if I'd have managed on my own.














The first 60k were very enjoyable. Chilly autumn air, quite countryside lanes, riding as slow as possible to conserve energy. Kilometers 60 to 90 were where the climbs begun. Nothing like the alps, but enough to stiffen up your legs, which was my greatest fear.

At about 90k we took a break for lunch, and started again for the afternoon. A few more hills for another 30k, and then the final, dreadful 30k to Cambridge, with no more energy left in the legs, cramps, and a slight but annoying front wind slowing us down even more. A big thank you to Phil and Dan for riding with me in this last bit: they kept me going.

Unfortunately I don't have many pictures of the latter part of the ride, as i was too busy pedaling, but hopefully I will be able to add a few more if the other LBSers have taken some.

I will definitely do it again next year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ma che bello sei nella foto (e anche un po' spaventato dall'impresa).