Monday 3 September 2007

my ideal job (work in progress list)

When you start making lists ... then you are really bored.
I made list of characteristics that my ideal job should have.
It's work in progress.
Here you go:

Must have:
1. The job allows me to be at home with my family most nights.
(My family are the reason why I work, not vice versa. I am not prepared to take on a job that makes me travel several days a week, but I am prepared to relocate my family abroad or to undertake a reasonable amount of travel)

2. It offers a general management challenge.
(in other words, I am not looking for a functional job, but for a general management role instead. To me that means having people and P&L responsibility as early as possible)

3. The company encourages people to become their best.
(I have been in companies where career progression is deliberately slow, where people are paid as little as possible, and where following the procedures is more important than coming up with great ideas. I think this produces average people. I want to work in a company where people are paid as much as possible, they are promoted as often as possible and they are encouraged to become as good as it gets at their work).

4. The initial salary should be at least +50% over my last salary.
(no need to explain)

Nice to have:

1. I’d like to have the opportunity for future share of equity/ partnership
2. I’d like it to be a small-ish company (max 200 people)
3. I’d like it to be a creative business (advertising, marketing consultancy, internet, etc)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the first point...very wise.
I like the ambition, with reason!
Think hard and things will start making sense soon, love you.

fran said...

you say so only because you are my wife. it ain't easy :)